Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Identity Theft

Today we live in a world where you hear the term "Identity Theft" frequently.  There are businesses designed to keep your "identity" safe.  Many people have at one time or another had someone use their credit card illegally as a result of this infraction.  Those people were victims of "Identity Theft".

The thief in these cases is usually unknown and for all intensive purposes, invisible.  Yet, he can do much damage in a short amount of time.  

There is another thief among us that is out to steal all of our identities.  

I have mentioned before that I don't give much attention to him because I think he likes attention, but we cannot just ignore him.  If someone stole your credit card information, it would be foolish to ignore it. This  thief  is after infinitely more than your credit card information.  Jesus described this enemy.....

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.  I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.  John 10:10   -Jesus


What a contrast!  "Steal, kill and destroy" are strong words, a very definite purpose.  Contrast that with Jesus who came to give us an "abundant life",  full of the goodness of God. 

However, many Christians do not feel as if they are living an "abundant life".  Why is this?  The answer is.......

Identity Theft

The enemy has lied to them and they do not realize who they are in Christ.  Their "identity" in Christ has been stolen so to speak.  It is still available to them, but damaged due to the thief who has convinced them to believe things about themselves that are simply NOT TRUE.

I was definitely a victim of "Identity Theft."  For many years, I believed falsehoods that fashioned my reality.  That is until the light of truth penetrated the false images that embedded my thoughts and exposed the lies.  Through keeping the Word of God in front of my eyes,  I was able to reclaim my identity in Christ.  Actually my identity was always secure in Him, I just didn't realize it and was living my life as a victim instead of an overcomer.

Here is what God says about our identities in Christ.......


For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.  2 Cor 5:21 (We are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus!)

I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me.  Phil 4:13

And the Lord will make you the head and not the tail, you shall be above only and not beneath. Deut 28:13

For he who serves Christ in these things is accepted by God and approved of by men.  Rom 14:18
(You are accepted by God and have favor with people!)

Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.  Romans 8:37


These verses state the truth about who you are and about who I am It took awhile to replace the old images in my mind about who I was and for these truths to be engraved into my spirit, soul and mind.  At times, I still need reminders.  


Our true identity is found only in Christ and what He says about you.  Any thoughts about yourself that do not line up with God's Word are lies.  If you have been living below where God intends for you to live believing a lie that you are not good enough, that your sin is too great, that you are nothing, please don't let the enemy have your identity any longer. 

God gave His son, Jesus, so we can have life and have it more abundantly.  The thief stole what God intended for us when he deceived Eve into eating the apple, and Adam and Eve sinned.  Jesus was the second Adam, and He knew no sin.  He gave His life to buy back our identities and give us eternal life.  You are bought with the precious blood of Jesus, you are His. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!