Monday, March 19, 2012

Inviting Worms into our Homes

Kids are great.  They are a blessing for so many reasons including that they give me an endless supply of writing material.  : )

Last week, Sarah, my five year old, came in the house from being in the back yard, suspiciously carrying a shovel filled with dirt.

Curious about why she was carrying dirt up the stairs, I inquired, "Sarah, what are you doing with that shovel?"

She apprehensively replied, "I am carrying my pet worms upstairs to their home."

Then, the conversation went something like this:

 "You have worms in the shovel?"
 "Yes, they are my pets."
 "No, you have to set them free.  We aren't going to have pet worms in the house. They won't be able to live in the house, they will die." 

Protesting a little, she insisted that her friend, Evan, had pet worms in his house and they didn't die.  Then, disappointed that she would not be able to keep her new pets, she obeyed and put the worms back outside.

(Can you tell she has two older brothers!?)

She did, however, find a nice home for the worms in a bubble container outside.  She happily slid the bubble container down the slide and flung it around, enjoying her new pets.  (Poor worms.)  

I don't know about you, but I don't like the idea of having worms in my house.  They are slimy, yucky, and give me the hebegebies.  I am not a fan of creepy crawlies.

Are there times we unknowingly let worms into our homes?  When worms are mentioned in the Bible, they are synonymous with destruction.  They break away, tear down, and devour (Ex 16:20, Deut 28:39).

Deuteronomy 28 describes the curse that comes upon those who do not walk in the ways of the Lord.  In verse 39, it says:

You will plant vineyards and cultivate them but you will not drink the wine or gather the grapes because the worms will eat them.  

Worms are devourers, they devoured the blessing. 

So, what are some "worms" we might unknowingly bring into our homes?  They sneak in little by little.  One big worm that comes to my mind immediately is "strife".  Oh, how I cannot stand strife! 

Other "worms" could include unforgiveness, offense, selfishness, and rebellion.  All these worms are rooted in the monstrous sin of pride. 

He that is of a proud heart stirs up strife, but he that puts his trust in the Lord shall be made fat.  Prov 28:25

The word "fat" above doesn't have anything to do with a scale.  It can also be translated "prosperous".  "Fat" is the opposite of being "devoured". 

We don't want worms to eat up our blessings, instead we need to put our trust in the Lord and walk in His ways. Then we can experience His fatness, His prosperity,  His blessings.  No worms in this house!!! 

Later this week, I am going to give examples of some sneaky ways worms might wiggle up our staircases and into our homes.  No pet worms!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!