Tuesday, December 11, 2012

More than "Just Right"



Last night while our seven year old son, Luke, was going to bed, he was crying because he had done something wrong.  I asked him why he was crying, and he explained, "I am not good or bad, I am just right." 

Now, I have to tell you I didn't have the foggiest clue what he was talking about.

Baffled, I questioned, "What do you mean, you are 'just right'?"  He then went on the explain (in a "Mom, I can't believe you don't know about the three bears" tone of voice), "You know, the three bears...one was too hot, one was too cold and one was 'just right'.  I am just right." 

(How silly of me, of course, the three bears!)  I pondered this seven year old's view of himself for a moment and then without another hint of hesitation, I poignantly addressed this issue.

"You are not just right.  You are precious, you are a child of God.  You are special and unique with God-given talents and abilities. You are good.  You make good decisions. You have Jesus living inside of you!  You are not just alright..."  (I went on some more about all that, but you get the gist of it.)

Many people may view themselves as Luke did, as "just right".  They may say it a little differently like, "I'm doing ok" or "I'm alright just the way I am."

"Just right" connotes average, in the middle, or mediocre. We. Are. More.

We are more than conquerors in Christ Jesus ( Romans 8:37).

By Christ, we have been made kings and priests to His God and Father (Rev 1:6).

We are holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling (Hebrews 3:1).  

In Revelations 3:15, it is written, "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot.  I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth."

God wants us to be cold or hot, not "just right".  In my Bible commentary, it further explains that cold springs are refreshing and hot mineral springs have medicinal properties.  Lukewarmness is nauseating.

We are not to adapt to the low to mediocre standards of the world.  Stir up your zeal for the Lord and don't settle for "just right".

Sorry Luke...even though your name is Luke, I will NOT let you settle for luke-warm. You were made for more my son!

And. So. Were. You! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!