Friday, September 26, 2014

Point Them to Their Need

Last week was crazy in the Molitor household.  Chris was gone on a work trip and I was left to being a single parent for the week.  The kids were out of sorts and decided it would be a good week for testing mom's limits... and lets just say I wanted to ground them, for like, forever!

In my quiet time, Jesus whispered quietly to my heart. (My tone in the house that week had been quite the opposite of quiet, by the way.)  But, He whispered quietly,"Point them to their need."  What do they need?  The answer...Jesus.

When Luke gets angry and hits his sister...point him to his need.

When Joe lets his sister down by siding with friends to pick on her...point him to his need.

When Sarah tattles and wants to get her brother in trouble...point her to her need.

I am often tempted to point out my kids failures instead of pointing them to the One who is faithful.

Part of being a Christian is learning that when we fail, to go to the One who never fails.  Christianity isn't about a list of  rules, its about relationship.  

I love what Phil Vischer, the creator of VeggieTales (love VeggieTales!!!), stated in an interview with World Magazine:

"I looked back at the previous 10 years and realized I had spent 10 years trying to convince kids to behave Christianly without actually teaching them Christianity. And that was a pretty serious conviction. You can say, 'Hey kids, be more forgiving because the Bible says so,' or 'Hey kids, be more kind because the Bible says so!' But that isn't Christianity, it's morality."

We can go to church our whole lives.  We can hear Bible stories.  We can be taught right and wrong. However, all of that is morality, not Christianity.  

Morality and Christianity are two separate entities.  

Morality points to behavior.  Christianity points to a Savior.  

Morality brings condemnation.  Christianity brings redemption.  

Morality focuses on earning approval.  Christianity focuses on knowing God. 

The Lord didn't tell me to point out my kids failures.  The Lord didn't tell me to show them all ways they were wrong.  The Lord told me to point them to their need, which is always the Cross.  

The need is always Jesus.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!