Friday, October 10, 2014

A Mickey Glasses Kiss {You Really Must Read This!}

A couple of weeks ago, Sarah and I went on a trip to Walmart.  Nothing special.  We were in search of a Red Box movie for movie night.

Outside the store, there was table set up with items for sale to raise money for a local ministry.   I know this is sad to admit, but I usually don't stop at such tables.  Please don't judge me.  The Lord will tell me when I need to stop and this time, He did.

Sarah and I admired the cross necklaces and catchy T-shirts.  The lady running the table was in her late twenties.  She had long black hair.  Her face was kind with somewhat of a weathered look for a girl in her twenties.  It was easy to see that life had not always been kind to her.

As we browsed the merchandise, she noticed my sunglasses and commented on how much she liked them.  It was a simple and courteous compliment.

I liked them too. {smile} They were recently purchased on a trip to Disney.  From the moment I saw the brownish-black glasses bedazzled with Mickey heads on the sides, they called to me.  I loved my new glasses.  

God spoke and you can probably guess what He said...

 "Give her your glasses."

At first I wrestled with if I was hearing from the Lord or if this was just a thought in my head.  I knew it was the Lord.  There was no part of me or my head that would have wanted to give my sparkly new Mickey glasses away.

I didn't obey right away, still trying to figure out if it was the Lord.  Sarah and I made our purchase and began to walk away.

I stopped.

"Sarah, we need to go back to the table.  I think the Lord wants me to give that lady my sunglasses."

Sarah responded with surprise, "Mom, that doesn't make any sense. Why would the Lord want you to give her your new sunglasses.  You just got them."

I explained to Sarah that sometimes the Lord asks us to do things that don't make any sense and we just need to obey.  I also explained that my head would not necessarily have had this thought by itself.  I have never thought to give away a pair of sunglasses before, so I really think the Lord is saying this to me.

With resolve that it was the Lord, I walked up to the young lady.

"I know this may seem weird, but the Lord told me to give you my sunglasses."

Immediately the lady began to cry and hugged me.

A little surprised by her reaction, I waited for her to speak.  As she spoke, her words and reaction gripped by heart.

"I said I liked your glasses because I have a little boy who will be four years old tomorrow and he loves Mickey Mouse. Your glasses reminded me of my little boy.  I haven't seen him in over six months.  I am currently in a rehab program and I am not allowed to see him yet.  I am working on cleaning up my life for him."

I didn't know how to respond.  I asked for her name and told her I would pray for her.  I did.

I left overwhelmed with the Lord's goodness and overcome with tears.

Oh. My. Word.  Really God?

They were just glasses.  It was just Mickey.  No.  It was so much more.  Those glasses spoke to me at Disney not just because they were cute and sparkly.  God new I would buy them.  He knew Sarah and I would go to Walmart for a movie.  He knew we would stop at that table and meet his sweet daughter.  He knew she needed encouragement.  He knew she needed a kiss from heaven.

It is overwhelming when God uses you to be the one to give a kiss of His love.

I pray I would be even more aware of His voice and how He would have me bless others.  I pray I would be quick to respond.  We may think it is only a pair of glasses.  But He knows it is so much more.

Be His Kiss.

Father, I pray that we would be more aware of Your voice and how You would have us bless others.  I pray we would be quick to respond without question.  You know what each person needs, whether it be a kind word, a prayer, or some material item.  Let us be vessels of Your love and encouragement.  Let us be Your kiss.  In Jesus' Name, Amen. 







 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!