Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Step Out

Stepping out....is not usually easy.

It requires faith and belief that God will do what he says He will do.

It also requires getting out of our comfort zones.  Comfort zones are comfy, and I like my comfort zone.  However, to do what God has called us to do, we have to step out of our comfort zones.

This past weekend God required me to step out.  I could have said "No".  If I would have said "No", I would have missed out on all God wanted to do and did this past weekend.   Honestly, I am completely unable to do anything on my own, I know this and I know I need the Lord to meet me.  I need Him to fill in my inadequacies to accomplish His good work.  I know it is impossible for me to do anything of significance for God on my own.

Some examples of people in the Bible who stepped out when it wasn't easy are Moses, Abraham, and Esther.  Moses had to leave his quiet dessert and go face the Pharaoh and tell him to release all his slaves, and Moses was afraid of public speaking!  Abraham left his home and his family to follow God.  Esther had to risk facing the king with the possibility of death in order to save her people.  In all of these examples, they had to leave behind what was comfortable and step out in faith.  God came through.  He always does when we step out in belief.

1) When we step out, God steps up. 

Let's look at Peter....He is a man who stepped out of the boat to do something impossible.

"Peter answered Him and said, 'Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.' So, He said, 'Come.'  And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus."  Matt 14:29

2) God will never ask us to do something and not meet us there.  

"But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, 'Lord, save me!'"  Matt 14:30  (Emphasis added)

We cannot rely on our feelings, on what we see.  We must keep our eyes on Jesus.  If we begin to sink, if we begin to doubt, the reason is because we have taken our eyes off Jesus. 

If or when that happens, go to the Word and write down scriptures that deal with trusting in the Lord, peace, and that specifically deal with what you are trusting God to do.  That is what I did this past weekend when I  started to doubt.  I thought I didn't doubt God, I thought I doubted myself.

But, when I doubted myself, I did doubt God.  For God has said He will help us perform every good work.  (2 Th 2:17)  He will enable us to do what He has called us to do.

3) God will not allow us to sink when we step out on His Word.   

 Its says that when Peter started to sink that he cried out to the Lord.  When we fail and we all fail at times, we must do what Peter did and cry out to the Lord.

"Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, 'O you of little faith, why did you doubt?'"  Matt 14:30

Jesus is always there to catch us when we cry out to Him.  He will lift us back up and walk with us on the water.

It is always a little scary to step out of our comfort zones.  This past weekend, I had to step out of my comfort zone, but God met me and did what only He could do.  On Monday, I took another step of faith out of my comfort zone and I am believing that God will meet me there as well.

What is it that God wants you to do that makes you a little uncomfortable?  Pray and see if it is the Lord asking you to do it.  If He is leading you, step out and see what He will do!  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!