Monday, April 2, 2012

Detours

Detours....don't you love them?!  Yes, I am being slightly sarcastic.

The other day, I was heading out the door.  We started out on time, but then Sarah couldn't find her shoes.  Then, she found one of the shoes, but the other was M.I.A.  We finally decided to ditch those shoes and settle for the ones that didn't quite match her outfit.  By that time, we were running a few minutes late.  No problem, I knew a short cut.  I took the new shorter route recommended by my wonderful and directionally-gifted husband.  Then, right in the middle of the "short cut", there it was, in big bold black letters upon a bright orange backdrop....DETOUR.



The very word made me feel anxious.

Oh, not today.  I don't know where I am going on this new route.  Where am I going to end up? I hope it doesn't take too much longer.  

I mentioned that my husband is directionally-gifted.  I am not.   So, it makes me a tad nervous when I don't know where I am or where I am headed.  Plus, I was already running late due to the case of the missing shoe.  I tried to just stay calm and talk to myself.  Learning how to self-talk is vital for victory.   Just trust God.  Maybe there is a reason for this detour.  It will be ok if I am late, it is not a big deal.  
Why?!  Why did there have to be a detour?!  What is the deal? No, it will be ok.  No big deal.  I'm sure it ends up near where I am going.  (I hope.)  

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.  Prov 3:6.   


Detours may seem inconvenient at the time, but they are in place for our protection.  When I leaned on my own understanding, all I could think about was the inconvenience this detour was causing me.  The same is true when we are walking with the Lord and he leads us down an unexpected path.  Our own understanding causes us to initially get anxious with questions.  I don't know where I am going.  Where am I going to end up?  Why?!  What is the deal with this detour?

It catches us off guard and we feel like we might be going in the wrong direction.  However, it is in those times that we need to trust the One who knows the beginning and the end.  His sense of direction is perfect, and He will never lead us in the wrong direction.  His detours are always with a purpose.  




















No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!