Monday, February 6, 2012

First Love

The summer of 1995 was undoubtedly the best summer of my life.  It was the summer I worked at Disney World on the College Program.  It was days of endless magic, a bit of work, but mostly magic.  It was also the summer I met the earthly love of my life.

A friend I had met only hours earlier invited me to go out to lunch.  Excited to make new friends, I eagerly accepted.  When he came over to pick me up, he brought his roommate....Chris.

I wish I could say it was love at first sight and birds and forest animals were singing as we sang a romantic duet (isn't that what happens in most Disney Fairytales?).   No, actually at first, I didn't like him.  He was wearing a hat boasting his fraternity.  Frat guy - one strike against him. (I know...don't judge a book by it's cover or a guy by his hat.)  He made fun of what I ordered- strike two.  Thankfully, there wasn't a third strike that day.  I did think he was cute.  : ) I left that lunch thinking I would never see him again.

However, God had other plans.  I did see him again the very next day and practically every day for the first week!  By the end of that first week, I was falling for him.  A week after that first unimpressive encounter, it was my birthday.  He wooed me by showing up after a long day at work with a rose, a single rose.  I saw him from afar, at the end of the long street lined with dance clubs and restaurants.  In the midst of a sea of people, I saw only him and the rose.  A rose I knew was for me..... 

There is more to this story that I will leave for another time, but we started dating a week after my 21st birthday.  That whole summer, I would wake up filled with anticipation.  Something exciting is happening in my life.  I get to see Chris today!   I was overflowing with joy.  It was magical. I was in love (I still am).

There is nothing like that  feeling of when we first fall in love.  You know the feeling...butterflies, excitement that can barely be contained, joyful anticipation and expectation.  It is euphoric!

That is how the Lord wants us to feel about Him.  He wants us to remember our first love. 

....I have this against you, that you have left your first love.   Rev 2:4

 Do you wake up each day full of excitement and anticipation because you have a Savior that ADORES you?!  The God of the Universe is enthralled with your beauty!  Do you have butterflies and long to spend time in His presence?  If not, that is ok.  That is why I am doing this series.  Jesus is so in love with you.  He is there longing to woo you, to draw you to Him.  As you spend time with Him, you will fall for Him. 

Can you see Him standing in the distance holding out a rose- a rose that is for you.   Your Prince is calling. He is drawing you near.  Run to Him.   



































No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!