Friday, July 27, 2012

Light in the Dark

Greater love has no man than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.  John 15:13

A week ago today the unthinkable happened.  The horrific tragedy at the Dark Knight Rises theatre in Colorado was on every news station across the country and possibly the world.  Since I was away all weekend, I did not hear of the news until Monday morning. 

My Spirit grieved within me at such senseless loss and suffering. 
 
The psychopath responsible was getting much news attention.  My Spirit grieved  more and more as I heard the details of this monstrosity.  I wanted to shout, “STOP talking about the evil this man did!  Don’t give him any more attention.  Focus on the ones who lost someone dear to them.  Focus on the ones who gave their lives so others could live.”  

I could shout all I wanted, but the radio and television would not hear.  Today, I want to draw attention to the ones who heroically died to save others. 

Jesus said there is no greater love than to lay down your life for a friend.  On a day filled with evil and hate, there was also the greatest act of love anyone could offer.  

The world tends to focus on the darkness.   The dark wins if we forget there is light.  There is light that shines in the midst of darkness. 


 
Three men gave their lives protecting their girlfriends.  These men are heroes.  I have no idea if these men knew Jesus, but they acted in the highest act of love…they laid down their lives for another.  Noble. Heroic.  Christ-like.

Today,  will you join me in praying for the families who lost a loved one during Friday night’s tragedy?  Pray for healing for those hurt and for the man who murdered 12 innocent people and wounded many others. 
I know it is hard to pray for a man who caused such suffering.  He doesn’t deserve prayers.  However, Jesus died for even him. 

I heard last night that the mother of the six year old that was killed had asked people to pray for the man who murdered her daughter.  That is love.   

Let love win.  I HATE what he did, but we cannot hate him or hate wins.   Let light overcome the darkness.  Jesus prayed for his persecutors.  He prayed for those who put him on the cross.   Jesus overcame the power of darkness on the cross.  Love overcomes the power of darkness.

I pray that I would act like Jesus even when it hurts, especially when it hurts.  

Will you join me in praying for those families today?

Dear Lord God,  I lift up those families and friends who lost loved ones a week ago.  I pray You would comfort them and give them peace like only You can do.  I pray for them to be aware of Your presence and love.  I pray healing and complete recovery for those wounded.  I pray for the man responsible.  He is obviously a sick deranged man.  I pray for him to get the help he needs and for him to come to know Jesus.  I pray for all who were in that theatre to draw near to You, our Comforter.   It is hard to see how, but I pray for You to take this evil and turn it around for good.  I pray for Your Light to prevail in the darkness.  In Jesus name, Amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!