Friday, March 28, 2014

Bowling with the Guardrails Up


Last week, while my kids were on Spring Break, we ventured to the bowling alley.  My 11 year old son, Joe, wanted to bowl with the guardrails up.  However, I wanted to see how he would do with them down. Without the guardrails, he bowled a total score of 16 (or was it 9?).  Any rate, it was far below par (or is that just a golf term?  I know nothing about bowling other than you try to hit the pins and I rarely do that!).

For the second game, I gave in to his request for the guardrails.  Wouldn't you know it?!  He got two strikes right off the bat (wrong sport again-sorry) and he DIDN'T even use the guardrails!  I thought it was so interesting that with the guardrails down, he repeatedly threw the ball in the gutter, but when the guardrails were up, he did not even come close to hitting them!

For the first 6 frames, his ball stayed clear of the guardrails and he had a score of over 60! What was the difference?

The only conclusion I could make was that it was all mental.  Having the guardrails up boosted his confidence.

We also need guardrails in our lives.  The Word of God is our Guardrail.  Without our Guardrail, we end up in the gutter over and over again.  When the guardrails are up and we are in God's Word, we have confidence to move forward with the Lord.  We know He is protecting us and keeping us in the center of His will.  We can know He is there as our shield and ever-present help so we can be victorious rather than roll along the edges of life never reaching our goals (or pins).

Knowing what a confidence booster guardrails are, I may never bowl without the guardrails again!

I am thankful for the Word of God being my Guardrail!

Power Verses and Reflection Question: 

"Our soul waits for the Lord;  He is our help and our shield."  Psalm 33:20   

"For the Lord will be your confidence, and will keep your foot from being caught."  Proverbs 3:26

1.  How does the Word of God, as a guardrail in your life, give you confidence?

I'd love to hear from you in the comment section!  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!