Wednesday, August 24, 2011

All Grown Up

I feel like such a grown up this morning.  Not because I have a job, been married for almost 13 years or because I have 3 kids. 

I feel like a grown up because I am drinking coffee.   

I don't drink coffee everyday.  So, when I do, I always feel so grown up.  : )

Even though I am technically an adult and by all standards would be considered one, my mind sometimes doesn't get the memo. 

Disney World is still the funnest place on earth to me, summer should never end in my opinion, rolling down hills is the best, and I heart bouncy houses.   I am in many ways a child at heart. 

Being childlike is different than being childish.  There is a big difference.

Whoever will humble himself therefore and become like a little child (trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving) is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  Matt 18:4 


God wants us to be childlike.  Children are trusting, love easily, and forgive easily.  They can be fighting over a toy one minute and laughing and playing the next. 

Truly I say to you, whoever does not accept and receive and welcome the kingdom of God like a little child shall not in any way enter it.  Luke 18:17

We must have faith like a child to enter the Kingdom of God!

Children believe easily.  Take Santa Claus for instance.  Children just believe.

Only Jesus is much different than Santa.  (There really is no comparison, but I realize some people think of Jesus like they do Santa.)

With Santa, the more we learn, the more we start figuring out this Santa thing isn't for real. 

With Christ, the more seek the truth, the more evidence we see, and the more we believe.  I have seen and experienced to much for anyone to convince me Jesus isn't real.  I know Him personally, and if you don't, I'd love to introduce you to Him. 

Children are also innocent and have a purity untainted by the dirt ridden depravity of society.  They are not sinless (Heavens no!), but there is an innocence about them.  God wants us to be childlike

Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy and all evil speaking, like newborn babies you should crave (thirst for, earnestly desire) the pure (unadulterated) spiritual milk, that by it you may be nurtured and grow unto completed salvation.    1 Peter 2:2

However, God does not want us to be childish.  We need to crave the Word of God like a baby craves milk to grow.  When we feed on God's Word, we grow into maturity and stop acting childish. 

What is "childish" behavior?  Well, children can be selfish and think only of themselves, lie, whine, complain, are impatient, can be rude, insist on getting their own way, and throw fits when they are not getting their way.  (Not your children, though, I'm talking about those other children.) 

We do not want to be childish.  We need to drink our milk so we can grow up.  Then, God says then we can have meat or solid food.  I think we can also have coffee then too.  : )

For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe.  But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.  Hebrews 5:13-14

"By reason of use have their senses exercised."  We grow by continually feeding on the Word of God and doing the Word to exercise our senses. 

1Corinthians 13: 4-8 explains how Christ-like "love" acts towards others.  In many respects, it is the opposite of childish ways.  Studying this passage will change your life! 

A little further down, verse 11 says: 

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; now that I have become a man, I am done with childish ways and have put them aside. 

Some commentary states that this is referring to the spiritual gifts and how we won't completely understand them in this age, therefore we are like children.  That may be the case, I am no theologian.  And there is no doubt that we are like children compared to the knowledge we will have after the return of Jesus. 

However, I also think it may be referring to our maturity level in Christ and how our love walk correlates to our maturity. 

Reading the word---> walking in love ----> growing/maturing in Christ ---> Becoming more like Jesus.

Being more like Jesus is the goal.  This all started with a cup of coffee this morning.  Even though I don't always feel like a grown-up, I do want to be grown up in Christ.  I believe you do too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!