Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Changes

The long wait was over.  The school lists had finally come in the mail.  Last year was a dream year for my son, Joe.  Two of his best friends were in his class last year, and he was hopeful that this year would be the same.  My eyes gazed down the list, I didn't see his friend's names and I knew he would be disappointed.  However, another one of his good friends was in the class, so maybe the news wouldn't be too disappointing.

Upstairs I went to relay the news.  As I told him, tears welled up in his eyes. I tried to emphasize the positive that his other good friend was in his class, but he was full of disappointment.  We talked about trusting the Lord and about making new friends.  Still...tears.

I can relate to my son.  Disappointment is hard, change is hard.  We like things to stay the same.  If we have something good, we think if it changes, then it will not be as good.  However, when God changes things in our lives, it will always be better for us.  We just have to trust Him.

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.  Romans 8: 28

Last week I said goodbye to two families that our family dearly loves.  One family were our neighbors.  Richard and Cathy were the kind of neighbors everyone wishes to have....kind, helpful, friendly.  We even met at Disney World one time when we were down there at the same time. They are good friends and we will miss them.  The other family we have been friends with for 13 years.  Paul and Sheryl have always been a blessing to us.  They are moving to Japan today!  Some other dear friends, Matt and Megan, are getting ready to move to California. 

I cried saying goodbye to my friends.  My sweet daughter said to me, "Mommy, don't cry, it will be ok."  She is right, but we will miss them. 

In a world where change is inevitable, it is comforting to know there is One who never changes.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.  Hebrews 13:8

You may be going through a situation that is even more life altering such as a loss of a loved one or job loss. Take comfort that our Savior never changes, He is always with us and always there. 

1 comment:

I heart your comments!