Sunday, August 21, 2011

Spider Monkey Syndrome

The way to catch a spider monkey (just in case you ever want to catch one) is to put a nut in a bottle.  The spider monkey will excitedly reach into the bottle and clasp his fist tight around the nut.  The spider monkey is then caught because he will be unable to get his closed fist through the neck of the bottle.  The spider monkey is unwilling to risk losing the nut, hence he will not let go to get free.  All he would have to do to be free is to surrender the nut. 

(I must put in a disclaimer at this point in case anyone from PETA is reading this....I am in no way condoning the capture of spider monkeys and I love animals.) 

Surrender....one of the three words the Lord recently gave me.  In case you are just tuning in, the Lord gave me three prophetic words....Deliverance, Surrender, Revelation.

The last few days, the word "surrender" has been hanging in my thoughts.  What does it truly mean to surrender everything to the Lord?  We sing songs like "I Surrender All", but do we really?  

A week ago pressures came pounding around me like waves relentlessly crashing the shores.   I felt like I was a spider monkey trapped, unable to let go of my nut.  There was no way around it.  (Trust me, I tried to find a way around it...there wasn't one.)

I called my mentor, Debbie, for some guidance. (I adore her!)  After she talked to me and prayed with me, the answer was clear.....Surrender.

Merriam-Webster defines Surrender as to give oneself up unto the power of another.

I surrendered, I gave up trying to do it in my own power and realized that I needed to lean on the Lord.  Dependence on God daily brings peace.  Having to depend more on God is not a bad thing. 

And He (the Lord) said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake.   For when I am weak, then I am strong.  2 Cor 12:9-10.

What in your life do you need to surrender?  God's grace is sufficient.  What are you clasping your fist around tightly unwilling to let go?  What is your "nut"? 

Sometimes hardships or hurts in life can cause our fists to be shut tight.  Fear keeps them shut.  Open hands are vulnerable, to open them would mean surrendering our fears, surrendering our heartaches. 

Sometimes hands are shut tightly around our insecurities.  God wants to pry our sweet fingers open and free us. 

Sometimes hands are shut around sin.  I have heard that some people have "Pet demons".  Lord have mercy, why would anyone want to have one of those for a pet!  All it means is that they have areas of sin in their life that they are unwilling to surrender, they actually like that sin.

Do you have something you are holding onto tightly?  Maybe you want to let go, but are not sure how to let go.

I removed his shoulder from the burden; His hands were delivered from the pots.  Psalms 81:6
(I was so excited when I found this verse....isn't it perfect!)

God will remove our burden, we just have to give it to Him.  We will be delivered when we open our hands and surrender whatever we are holding onto. 

Talk to the Lord, surrender the "nut" to Him.  He will free it from your hands.  We cannot hold onto our "nut" if we want freedom.  Open your hand, lay it at the foot of the cross.   Daily surrender and coming to the Lord with open hands will bring freedom.  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!