Wednesday, October 26, 2011

So Long Insecurity, Week 4: Our Roots

Roots....they go down deep, spreading and burrowing down, becoming our life force.  They are an anchor to us.  Sometimes that anchor holds us securely in a desirable place.  Other times, that anchor needs to be dug up and thrown away.  The later is the case if that anchor has held us back from all God has created us to be.


Credit: Free images from acobox.com







Let your roots grow down into [Christ Jesus], and let your lives be built on Him.  Then your faith will grow strong in the truth your were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness. Colossians 2:7 

If we have insecurity in our lives, we have roots of  insecurity.  Some examples of roots of insecurity are:
1. Instability in the home (for example: verbal, physical, emotional abuse or financial difficulty or mental/physical illness)
2.  Significant loss  (person, home, relationship)
3. Rejection
4. Dramatic Change
5.  Personal limitation (disability, scar, etc.)
6. Personal disposition and temperment
7. Our culture and media
8. Pride
 (Source: "So Long Insecurity" by Beth Moore, Chapters 5 and 6)

Hopefully you are not like me.  I can check "yes" to almost all of the above.   No wonder it has taken a long time to dig out those roots.  I am still digging.

It is difficult to dig deep to get down to the roots of the "why".  It can be painful to go there and sometimes it just seems easier to leave it all alone.

However, God is calling us to higher ground in Him.  He wants to uncover the roots and expose them, dig them out and replant us as a tree planted by rivers of water bearing good fruit in its season (Psalms 1:3).

Don't you know who you are, dear child of God!  You are an Oak of Righteousness, a planting of the Lord, the display of His splendor ( Isaiah 61:3).

Easier to leave it all alone?  Not on your life!  It is not easier to live in fear.  It is not easier to live in bondage.  It is not easier to live held down by the chains of condemnation!  ( I know, I use to be up to my eyeballs in bad roots that held me down!)

No, dear child of God.....the price of leaving it all alone and not forcing yourself to dig down to the roots is a life of bondage.   That price is one too high to pay.

Jesus already paid everything we need to be free.  The only requirement from us is to cooperate with the Lord, and let Him open and heal our hearts.  He won't force Himself in, we have to ask Him and allow Him access to the deepest depths of our brokenness.

Once, I thought I was completely healed of a devastating pain.  The Lord showed me that there were some areas that still needed a deeper touch from Him.  I had closed that wound up.  He revealed to me that He would need to open the wound  to heal it completely and thoroughly.

I pleaded with Him, "Lord, I don't want to go there...it is too painful."   It was painful because I was not completed healed yet.  He needed to re-open the wound to cleanse it with His Blood's healing power. 

Is there an area of your heart you have not allowed God access to because it is too painful?  I encourage you to go to Him in prayer and let Him into the depths of your heart.  He already knows what is in there. It won't surprise Him, I promise.  It may be painful in the moment, but healing and wholeness will follow.  He heals the brokenhearted and brings liberty to the captives ( Isaiah 61:1).

There is a root to all insecurity.  However, we can dig down and with the Lord dig up all those bad roots.  We want our roots to be planted by the Living Water, imbedded deep in the truth of God's Word.

Roots planted deep in the Lord Jesus Christ provide a secure anchor for our soul.

.....You already have everything in you to be secure if Jesus lives in you.


I love this a little further down from the verse above in Colossians 2:10..........

And you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power. 

If you went down the list of roots of insecurity and could identify with them like I could....it is comforting and encouraging to know that He says:

YOU. ARE. ENOUGH.  I will never reject you.  Trust Me, let Me in, let Me heal.  I went to the cross for you, to free you.  I love you no matter what.  Nothing, nothing can ever separate you from My love.

How about it?  Will you let him heal?  Will you let him into the deepest parts of your wounds?  Healing awaits. Security follows.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!