Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Confident Heart {Week 5}: A Worried Heart


"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Phillipians 4:6-7

This past week was week five for the online Bible study.  We are reading A Confident Heart by Renee Swope.  This book has been life changing for me personally.  The truths taught in this book are from God's Word.  The Word of God has overtime transformed my heart into the confident heart God intended.  

This week we read Chapter Nine:  "When Doubt Whispers 'I Can't Stop Worrying'"  

Renee sums up this chapter well in this paragraph:

 "When you feel worried, talk to Jesus instead of talking to yourself.  Instead of bossing others around, boss your hearts around by reminding it to remember who God is--and how good He is at being God.  Remember that more than simply serving Him, God wants you to seek Him.  He wants you to sit with Him so He can give you His perspective and fill your heart with confidence in His presence each day."  pg.  178  

Also, if you do talk to yourself, only speak God's Word to yourself. 

God's Word fuels the fire of belief and confidence.  

"Sit with God" and let His peace rest on you.  Doesn't that sound wonderful and refreshing?

 *Sign*...sitting with the Lord.  A quiet moment of just being with Him.  No talking. Just being.  

He wraps His loving arms around you while He quiets you with His love and peace.   

Go to Him with a heart willing to be still and just listen.  

"He will quiet you with His love." Zephaniah 3:17

The other day, I was beginning to feel a little anxious about an event coming up and the Lord led me to John 14:27  

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."   

His peace is with us...all we have to do is trust Him and His Word.  

If you have the book, please feel free to comment on anything from this week that stood out for you or helped  you.  

If you don't have the book, I would still love to hear from you.  Do you worry?  What do you worry about?  What is a promise from God's Word that would help you next time you are tempted to worry?   





1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue!

    This verse has been my staple over the past month. It was a verse that I purposed to memorize during Breaking Free. I have no idea how many times I've recited it, but the peace always came - every time.

    So proud of you!
    Talli

    ReplyDelete

I heart your comments!