Monday, March 11, 2013

Rock, Shelter, Tower

Hear my cry, O God;
Attend to my prayer,
From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
When my heart is overwhelmed, 
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 
For You have been a shelter for me,
A strong tower from the enemy,
I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;
I will trust in the shelter of Your wings.  Selah
Psalms 61:1-4
 
Is your heart overwhelmed today?  Let's play a game.  
 
You probably have played the game, "Rock, Paper, Scissors."   Well, today I want to introduce you to "Rock, Shelter, Tower".  Everyone wins this game.  Rock doesn't cover shelter, nor does tower destroy rock. They are all equally strong and all equally adequate to protect and support.  
 
Do you need a rock to stand on, a shelter to shield you, or a tower to defend you?  Cry out to the Lord.  
 
He promises to lead you to the Rock that is higher than you.  He is our Rock. This Rock is a rock of peace, refuge, safety, salvation, comfort, and strength.  
 
He promises to be a shelter for you.  He is a shelter from life's storms.  When rain plummets and pounds, threatening to shake your foundation, you can rest assured that the Rock you are on is secure and His shelter is sufficient.  

He promises to be a strong tower from the enemy.  He will hold you up and protect you from all sides.  He lifts you up above the storm in a strong tower of safety and support.  This tower will not waver, it will not fall.  

A tabernacle is another name for the Lord's house, or a sanctuary.  After Jesus came and went to the cross and rose again, the Lord's residence changed from a house of brick and mortar to a home within our hearts.  If you have received Jesus as your Lord and Savior, than you are a tabernacle, my dear friend.  He abides in you, but you still have to make the choice to abide in Him (John 15).  In Him is the safest place to be.   

He surrounds you as with a shield, keeps you standing firm on His Rock, covers you with the shelter of His wings and encompasses you in the safety of His tower and tabernacle.  We are covered from all sides with His love and protection.  
 
All right, everyone together, fists ready...Rock, Shelter, Tower...God, You've got this. 
 
Cry out to the Lord and rest in His protection and strength.  

Dear Heavenly Father, oh how I need you.  My heart is overwhelmed.  You know my going in and my going out.  You know my rising and my lying down.  You know my struggles.  Father, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.  You are my shelter and strong tower.  Thank you for always protecting me when I abide in You.  Father, I pray I would abide in You. Thank you for comforting me and encompassing me in the shelter of Your wings.  Thank you for surrounding me with Your presence today.  I pray I would feel your peace and presence in a mighty way.  In Jesus' Name, Amen. 
 





2 comments:

  1. I confess Psalm 61 daily, and the LORD as my one and only refuge. Excellent post, Sue.

    ReplyDelete

I heart your comments!