Friday, January 24, 2014

How to Handle Fear {Part 3}


Earlier this week, I shared some truths I have been looking at in God's Word about fear and some heros that were victorious over fear.  The last Hero of the Bible we are going to look at this week is the King of Heroes—Jesus!  We are going to look at Jesus in the Garden and uncover whether Jesus was afraid.
 
In Matthew 26: 36-46, we find Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.  He said to Peter, James, and John,    “ My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death.  Stay here and watch with Me.” (Matt 26:38). 

My Bible commentary states that the agony Jesus experienced was not caused by the fear of physical death, but by the association of His death with sin.  

“For He made Him who knew no sin to become sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.”( 2 Cor 5:21)  

This is huge!  Sin and God cannot be together, so this meant Jesus would be temporarily apart from the Father!  That is why on the cross, He said, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”  (Matt 27: 46).  Jesus trembled at the thought of being separated from the Father and His Holy nature agonized over becoming sin, the one thing He hated.  

However, I have to take issue with those who would claim that Jesus was afraid of His sacrifice.  Jesus, the One who constantly stood confidently in the face of fear and is the same as God who commands over and over again in His Word to NOT be afraid, would not have been afraid.   He agonized over His plight and temporary suffering, but He was not afraid.  He may have been tempted to fear and He left a good example of what we should do when tempted to fear.
 
1.       Pray!  (Matthew 26: 36)
2.       He asked others to pray (Matthew 26:38, 41)

Jesus knew by the end of His time praying that it was God’s will for the plan of redemption to move forward.  By the time the soldiers came to arrest Jesus, He was no longer in agony and the temptation to fear did not win.  He stood boldly before His enemies.  

Prayer in the midst of fear gives us the confident and courage to be bold in the face of adversity.  And praying also helps us to know God’s will and when we KNOW God’s will, courage and confidence follows to do His will.   

Thank you for allowing me to share what I have seen in God's Word this week.  I would LOVE to hear your feedback?  Did any of what I found help you with your fear?  Was there anything I mentioned that you hadn't thought about before?  Do you agree or disagree with it?  Please leave your thoughts in the comment sections.  I heart and treasure your comments.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!