Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Smell Like Jesus

The other day I was at a friend's house and she said to me, "You smell good, you smell like cotton candy."  I smiled, laughed and said, "My perfume smells like cotton candy."   It does. I didn't buy it to smell like cotton candy, I just liked it.  : ) What a sweet fragrance! 

When she said that it reminded me of a verse that inspires me.

And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.  Ephesians 5:2 

This verse is an inspiration to me because I want to leave a sweet-smelling aroma.  I want others to know I love the Lord and I want it to show by the way I live my life.

Merriam-Webster defines aroma as "a distinctive quality or atmosphere." 

When I walk into a room, I want the aroma of Jesus to fill that place and for the people there to know there is something different, distinctive, about me.  When I leave a place, I want to leave a pleasant "aroma" behind.

I want to smell like Jesus. 

Paul describes how to have this aroma in the previous Chapter, and actually the whole bible is filled with how to have this aroma, but I'll just share some verses Paul wrote about it.  : )

Walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all  humility and gentleness.  Be patient with one another, making allowances for each others faults because of your love.  Eph 4:2

Be angry and do not sin, do not let the sun go down on your anger nor give place to the devil.  Eph 4:26

When someone says something or does something that could offend you, don't let it offend you.  It only opens the door for the enemy and your aroma is lost.

Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that is may impart grace to the hearers.  Eph 4:29

It is important to watch what we say and to encourage others with our speech.  Are we speaking positively or negatively about others when they are not around? Are we speaking positive and encouraging words to others when we are with them? 

Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you with all malice.  And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another even as God in Christ forgave you.  Eph 4:32

Therefore be imitators of God dear children.  Eph 5:1

It all comes down to being an imitator of God and walking in love.  That is what Jesus did.  He only did that which His Father did and He always loved.  He left a sweet aroma that drew people to Him. I pray that I would leave a sweet aroma wherever I am that would draw people to Jesus. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!