Monday, October 7, 2013

Is My Heart Green?

"Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight!
Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt, whose lives are lived in complete honesty."  
Psalms 32:1-2 NLT

Sarah and I walked hand in hand by a pond at a local park.  The stagnant pond was covered in a green mucky moss except there was one part of the pond that was clear, clean and beautiful.  The contrast captured my daughter's attention and she inquired as to why part of the water was green.  



I explained to her that the green on top of the water was due to the water not moving, and as a result, the yuck just stayed there.  The water that was around the fountain was clean because the fountain moved the yuck, allowing the water to be purified.  (I know not very scientific, but she is only six and I'm not sure I know all the science anyway.)  

Fast forward.  We left the park and now it is bedtime.  I read the verse above to her and we talked about the importance of honesty.  I explained to her that it is important to keep our hearts pure.  When we tell a lie, it makes our hearts yucky (again 6 year old terms).  When we are honest and truthful, we can be full of the joy of the Lord.  I told her how important it is to live in the light and when we lie, we are living in darkness.  

Then, she said something that absolutely amazed me!  She said, 
"Mommy, it is like the green water and clear water we saw tonight. When we lie, our hearts are yucky like the green water." 

YES!!!  

She was right on!  When we sin (no matter what sin it is), our hearts become stagnant and well,...yucky.

However, when we ask for forgiveness, it is just like the verse says above, "sin is put out of sight."  The sin is moved and just like when the water was moved, it was made clean, our hearts are purified when the sin is moved!  It is only when we allow sin to stay that our hearts begin to grow green gunky goo.  

We need the Fountain of Living Water to come into our hearts and make us pure!  

We don't want a science experiment growing inside our hearts.  Let's move that sin out and live with pure hands and a clean heart.  We want a clean heart, not a green heart.  All it takes is one sincere prayer...

Father, I ask you to forgive my sins and put my sins out of sight.  I ask for you to give me clean hands and a pure heart.  I thank you that you remove my sins as far as the east is from the west.  Father, I don't want any green goo in my heart and I don't want to be stagnant.  I pray that I would be on fire for you and move for you.  Lord, please show me if I ever get stagnant or my heart ever needs a change.  In Jesus' Name, Amen. 



   






No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!