Monday, May 19, 2014

Sarah's Wise Words


Two weeks ago, Sarah and I went on a mini shopping excursion.  I say "mini" because we had a limited amount of time to complete our mission of finding a couple of spring/summer dresses for her.

We went to Target first, because who doesn't love Target, right?  Nothing there fit her style, so we headed for the mall. (I have to say she is quite picky, although she doesn't like me calling her picky.  Let's just say she is very selective--not a bad thing!)

As we parked, I explained to Sarah that we only had about an hour to look and leave. We entered through a huge department store and began meandering our way down the aisles lined with the latest fashions.  My eyes kept drifting to the left and right of the walkway, drawn in by the beautiful vast array of attire.  How I wanted to stop and look for myself!!

Sarah noticed my wavering and encouraged me through her giggles to not get distracted.

"Don't look to the left or to the right mom, look straight ahead.  Stay in the middle."

She was right.  I needed to stay focused on the mission or we would miss what we came there to do.

Her wise words reminded me of this exhortation of the Father.

"Therefore you should be careful to do as the Lord your  God has commanded you; you shall not turn to the right hand or to the left."  Deuteronomy 5:32 

As we are on the mission God has assigned for us to do, distractions may come to try to get us to turn to the right or to the left to keep us from the middle of God's perfect will.  We need to be alert and stay in the middle, and not be drawn to the left or right by the desires of the world around us.

Our eyes can deceive us and the luxuries of this world can be enticing and seem beautiful.  When we are drawn to the left or to the right, we risk missing what we are here to do.

There is only one reward worth chasing...the crown of glory!  

Power Verse:

"Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." James 1:12    



No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!