Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Potter's Hand

Recently, my husband and I took a weekend getaway trip to the Smokey Mountains.  While we were there we dined at The Pottery House.  I know it is a funny name for a restaurant,  but I promise you it was very yummy!  If you ever go up to Pigeon Forge, I recommend it.  

Next to The Pottery House restaurant is a pottery store. (I know, surprising isn't it?)  In the store there were all kinds of pottery, practically anything you can think of made out of pottery.  I enjoyed looking at all of the unique and beautiful creations that were made by hand.  

In the corner of the store was the man who had made many of the creations in the store.  He was hard at work sculpting and shaping a piece of pottery on the potter's wheel.  He was focused as he worked, perfectly forming his creation.  

  

As he worked, he removed the part of the clay that was not needed for the vessel he was making.  He cut away the parts of the clay that would detract from the vessel's beauty or that would hinder its use.  He molded every piece of clay into a vessel designed for a specific purpose.  

But now, O Lord, You are our Father; We are the clay, and You our potter; And all we are the work of Your hand.   Isaiah 64:8

We are the clay and the Lord God is our Potter.  He is forming us, molding us for a specific purpose.  He is cutting away the parts in our lives that would detract from our beauty or hinder our use for His glory.  The Lord is molding us into a work of art....beautiful and unblemished, perfectly formed for His glory.

Oh, how we need Jesus!  Without Jesus, we are just a lump of clay.  I don't know about you, but I don't want to be just a lump of clay!

Oh Lord, mold me into Your image.  Form me by the works of Your Mighty Hands.  Oh Lord, how I desire to be like You.  Father, make me into a vessel You can use for Your glory. 

Teach me Lord to live all of my life through Your eyes.  Set me apart.......lead me, fill me.  I give my life to the Potter's Hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!