Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Not This One

I had in mind to write a different post this morning.  There were two I had thought about writing. Not this one.

So teach us to number our days.  That we may gain a heart of wisdom.   Ps 90:12

My heart is heavy this morning.   A news report. A text.  In a moment, everything changes.

Lord, make me to know my end,
And what is the measure of my days, 
That I may know how frail I am.
Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths,
And my age is as nothing before You; Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor.  Selah (pause and think about that)

Surely every man walks about like a shadow;
Surely they busy themselves in vain;
He heaps up riches
And does not know who will gather them.  Psalms 39:4-6

Life is a gift, every day a present from the Lord.  One text and everything in my life seems small.  The cares I had, meaningless.

We busy ourselves in vain.  We spend our days in worry, in planning, in doing.  Our schedules are full, and our hearts empty.  We pursue riches at the expense of our families.  We ignore our children, or get frustrated with them.   We have so many gifts.  Do we treasure them?

We take our husbands for granted, forgetting they are God's gift to us.  Do you kiss him everyday?  Do you tell him you love him?

A text.  A friend from church was killed in a car accident.  He left behind his wife (my friend, Jacque) and 3 young children.  His mother, Eva, is also my friend.  Please pray for this family.  I love them dearly and my heart aches for them.  Tears and prayers are all I have known since last night. 

This song is running through my mind.  I cannot think of the name or who sings it....

Lord, teach me to number my days.  To live every moment, and not let it slip away......

Kiss your husband, hug your kids, treasure your time with them.  Life is but a vapor.  Stop.  Breath it in. Savor it. What are you doing with your life?  What am I doing with mine?

1 comment:

I heart your comments!