Monday, November 28, 2011

Magical to Mundane

Last week was wonderful. Chris' father treated us and Chris' brother's family to a trip to Disney World.  It was a much needed and welcomed vacation.   Warm, fun, adventuresome, and even restful in the midst of Disney madness.

I have to say coming back to the routine of reality was not necessarily appealing.  The thought of driving kids to school, working, work emails, laundry, homework, driving kids to activities, etc, just made me want to turn right back around and run away to Never Land in Fantasy Land. 

Now, also mix in there the added thought of it being the holiday season and it is a recipe for being overwhelmed if a spoonful of the right attitude or sugar isn't added to help it all go down.  Sorry, I just love Disney analogies and couldn't help myself.  : )

Life is busy with three kids and I do not want to live my life dreading the inevitable everyday essentials.  Life can seem like a mundane merry-go-round at times.  However, I have to remind myself there are those that long for the mundane. 

Cancer, death of a loved one, poverty, care of elderly or the disabled, job loss, foreclosures are just some examples of what some people in the world deal with day in and out.  Probably someone you know, a close friend, or possibly you yourself are dealing with the above and would love a taste of tedious.

We just ended the weekend of Thanksgiving and officially entered into the Christmas season.  Will we carry  the heart of Thanksgiving into the end of the year and beyond?  Thankful in the midst of hustle and bustle (while trying to not have it so hustly and bustly), thankful for the mundane, thankful for the countless blessings that surround us daily...we have so many. 

This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.  Psalms 118:24
(I know you know this verse, but let us daily make in our confession and aim.)


O God, my heart is fixed, I will sing and give praise, even with my glory.  Psalms 108:1  
(A heart fixed.  Fixed here is the Hebrew word "kuwn" meaning securely determined, firmly established, fastened, enduring.   Our hearts need to be fastened securely to praise. )

Stop.  Breath in the sweet smell of Christmas.  Take in the glorious lights.  Ponder on the birth of our Savior.  Find magic and beauty surrounding you.  Find things to be thankful for daily......

I am thankful I have three beautiful kids to drive to school and a car to drive them in. 


I am thankful for my job and for the work I do and for good health that enables me to do it.


I am thankful for emails and computers and technology.  (It has made our lives easier in many ways.)

I am thankful we have clothes to wash and for washing machines/dryers.  (Along with that, I am thankful I don't have to go to creek and carry water a mile, make my own soap, build a fire to heat the water, then get my wash board out and scrub all the clothes by hand.  2011 is a nice time to live.)

I am thankful for the school my kids go to and that I am able to help them with homework.  

I am thankful for the activities our kids can be a part of and for the opportunity and means to be able to take them to those activities.   

I am thankful for Immanuel, God with us, Who enables and equips me to do all things unto and for His glory.  I am thankful He gave up His glorious Heavenly realm to live with us.  Talk about returning to the world from Fantasy Land!  From heaven to earth was quite a change for the King of Glory. 

Jesus never complained that his birthplace accommodations were less than desirable, that He had to walk everywhere, or constantly keep an eye on those disciples of His.  He did it all graciously and willingly.  He went from being born in a manger to death on the cross all with an attitude of servanthood and grace.  And yet at times I have difficulty going from my comfortable home to a well known superstore with a graceful and Christ-like attitude!  Oh, Lord, change my heart to be like Yours.

This is the beginning of the Christmas season.  We get to choose our attitude.  We can choose to have our hearts fixed on praise or be bah humbug about the season.  It is Christmas!  The most wonderful time of the year.  Let's unwrap each day as a gift and live thankful for every moment whether magical or mundane.   



With Thankfulness and Praise,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!