Friday, June 20, 2014

Forty Days of Finding Your True Identity: You are a Slave (#SayWhat?)


Day 7:

"And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness." Romans 6:18



I have to admit that at first glace, this verse made me cringe.  After all, I thought finding my identity was about freedom.  It is.

Do you ever feel defeated because you responded the wrong way... again?  Have you ever felt in bondage to sin and it seemed impossible to break free from the old destructive habit?  That is slavery.

Just this week, I found myself responding to something in my old nature.  I became offended, when I should have been trusting the Lord.  It did not take long for me to recognize that my response was a result of my humanity and I felt stuck in it. Notice I said, "I felt stuck."  The truth is I'm not, I've been made free and have a new Master. 

Father, I so want to respond well when others do something that could cause offense (intentionally or not).  Please help me respond well. 

I think the problem is that sometimes we don't know or we forget who we are.  When we forget who we are, we act like our old selves because we don't remember we have been set free.

In verse 16 of Romans 8, it says, "Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one's slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or obedience leading to righteousness?"

We are slaves either to sin (leading to death) or to obedience (leading to righteousness and thus, life!).  The Holy Spirit lives inside of us and the good news about Romans 6:18 is that it says that we became slaves of righteousness.  We have the power inside of us to obey and do what is right, which leads to life!

When I think about sin leading to death, it bring my spirit to attention.  God has said that He has given us a choice, life or death.  He then says, "Choose life" (Deut 30:19).  Choosing to obey is a lofty matter and knowing that I have the Power inside of me to help me choose to obey, allows me to be able to rest in Christ.  His grace is sufficient.

You are no longer a slave to sin.  Your old nature died with Christ and You became alive with Him when He was raised from the dead.  Your new Master is benevolent and kind and has empowered you with His grace to live in Christ.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart your comments!