Thursday, January 12, 2012

Answered Prayer: The Keys to Receiving {Part 1}



Several years back my husband and I shared a testimony at our church on how God had blessed us and provided for us.  That testimony emerged from truths God taught us over a length of time.  The truths we learned helped us get out of a dark time in our lives.  However, that testimony and story is one for another time.

At the end of the testimony, our Pastor called us up saying he had a Word from the Lord for us.  It was a prophetic Word.  Life altering.  We were blessed beyond words by what the Lord had to say.  Then, our Pastor said something I will never forget.  He looked straight at me with laser focus and said,  "Do you receive this Word?"

Did I?  Did I believe it?  Did I believe that what he said the Lord was saying would actually happen?  Did I believe I was worthy of it?

Of course, I nodded.  It was a timid nod, but nevertheless, a nod.  I suppose I nodded in faith.  The truth in my heart was that I did not feel worthy of the blessing he spoke over me. 

Receive.  What did it mean to receive?  It led me on a search of discovery.  How could I make certain I could receive?  How important was it to receive?  I mean, if God wanted me to have it, wouldn't I just get it?  Did I have to receive it?

The answers were found in God's Word.  Unlocking the answer to prayer, the keys to receiving.....

He who has clean hands and a pure heart, Who has not lifted up his soul to an idol, nor sworn deceitfully.  He shall receive blessing from the Lord.   Ps 24:4-5


  
The first key to receiving from the Lord: Clean hands / pure heart



We see above we need to have a clean and pure heart.  That is easy enough.  Jesus paid the price for us to have a clean and pure heart.  

So often, we think we have to earn our way to having a clean heart.  Beloved, we already have a clean heart if we belong to the Lord and have asked Him to forgive us of our sins! However, it is up to us to continue to keep our hearts clean and pure.  One way to do this is to frequently (at least daily) ask the Lord to forgive your sins.  Come clean with Him.  He already knows anyway.  Ask Him to cleanse your heart and renew a right spirit within you (Ps 51:10).  You are on your way to unlocking the doors to answered prayer.

There are at least six keys to receiving from the Lord.  I was going to try to cover them all in one post, but that would be one looooong post!  I will share the remaining 5 over the next week. 


Have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate all of you.  I really do.  Thank you for joining me here.  : ) 

1 comment:

  1. Sue, this series is going to bless me! I can already tell! What a great post. Thank you! (and I love how you did the picture of they key and the off center quote! Fancy!) Love you.

    ReplyDelete

I heart your comments!