Friday, January 25, 2013

Follow the Staff

"The Lord is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack.  
He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures; 
He leads me beside the still and restful waters.
He refreshes and restores my life (my self); 
He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him--not for my earning it, but] for His name's sake.  
Yes, though I walk through the [deep, sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, For You are with me; 
Your rod and Your staff [to guide], they comfort me."  Psalms 23:1-4 (Amplified Bible)

While reading this verse, I envisioned the Lord with His staff in hand, out in front, leading and guiding His sheep.  


We are His sheep.  

A shepherd is responsible for his sheep.  He is responsible to provide for them, to feed them.   A shepherd will do anything to protect his flock; he shields them from harmA shepherd leads and guides his sheep and they follow him.  

He leads us to the best pastures.
  
He leads us to rest when we are weary so we can be refreshed and restored.
   
He leads us in the paths of righteousness.  We have been made righteous through the blood of the Jesus.  We are made righteous by Him, not by anything we have done. 

He leads us through the valley of the shadow of death safely.   This world can appear dark and dismal at times. but thought there may be evil all around us, He is with us. His rod and staff comfort us.  A shepherd would use his rod and staff to fight off any enemy that would come to harm his sheep.    We can take comfort in knowing we have a God who will fight for us, protect us, and lead us to safety.
 

Are you facing a decision today?  Do you need God to lead you and guide you safely to the right path?  He promises He will.  All we need to do is follow.    

Father, which direction should I go?  Which path should I take?   

He responds kindly, "Come this way, my child, follow me."  

He leads us with staff in hand.  Follow the staff.  

 
 





3 comments:

  1. I will follow His staff through my Anything but That moment, which has manifested itself but I' still trying to make some sense of it.
    "He leads us to the best pastures"//"Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will...find green pastures." John 10:9, NLT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for the Lord to help you and guide you through whatever you are going through, Julia. He is good and will lead you safely.

    ReplyDelete

I heart your comments!